Position: NEPA Specialist/Mid-level Environmental Scientist/Environmental Planner
Freestone Environmental Services, Inc. a multidisciplinary environmental and natural resources consulting firm located in Richland, Washington, is seeking a mid-to-senior environmental science professional, experienced in environmental planning and the preparation of National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) studies and documentation. The successful candidate should possess strong skills in environmental planning, natural resources management, and expertise in pertinent laws, regulations, policies and precedent, which influence the NEPA process and compliance.
Position Location: Richland or Walla Walla, WA offices
Description: Support interdisciplinary projects and reports related to NEPA compliance documents, particularly experience with Section 7 (Endangered Species Act) consultations and the preparation and review of Biological Assessments, Biological Opinions, Environmental Assessments, and Environmental Impact Statements. Provide support for a variety of project types (invasive species and pest management, water resources, sediment management, habitat restoration, fisheries, cultural and historic resources, hydropower); mentor staff in area of expertise; execute and deliver high quality work products.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree (Masters is preferred) in environmental planning, environmental science, geology, biology or a related field. Extensive experience preparing and/or planning NEPA projects required (minimum BS +7 years, or MS +5 years, or PhD. +3 years). In-depth knowledge of regulations and requirements applicable to NEPA. Experience and expertise in environmental planning and environmental sciences such as biology (aquatic or terrestrial) geology, hydrology, water resources, marine science, physical science, or resource economics. Possess a positive, can-do attitude and a strong work ethic. Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively work independently and coordinate with project staff from multiple offices and agencies. Excellent writing and oral presentation skills. Dedication to expanding Freestone’s professional reputation and our commitment to scientific excellence in performance of environmental planning and natural resources. Demonstrated ability to develop business and market consulting services.
Position: Policy Analyst
Freestone Environmental Services, Inc., a multi-disciplinary environmental consulting firm seeks a talented individual to serve as a Policy Analyst to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R -- www.response.restoration.noaa.gov). This position will be located in Silver Spring, MD. OR&R is a program office in the National Ocean Service that responds to threats in order to protect and restore coastal resources. To do this OR&R provides scientific response to releases of oil, chemicals, and contaminants; and protects and restores the nation’s trust natural resources.
- Serve as analyst and coordinator for specific program, policy and communication actions, including support for emerging offshore oil/gas permit review coordination with subject matter experts and office management.
- Coordinate and implement proactive legislative strategy that builds awareness of OR&R core capabilities with members of Congress and external partners. Craft and maintain legislative briefing materials and responses to Congressional queries. Track relevant legislation and monitor progress of bills relevant to OR&R and federal partners. Provide timely reports to OR&R Chief of Staff on status of relevant legislation.
- Develop and maintain strategic communications tools to enhance information sharing across OR&R divisions as it pertains to external partnerships and engagement, legislative tracking, Congressional briefing materials, and minutes from meetings with Congress and external partners.
- Support OR&R Chief of Staff in program planning and evaluation process, including routine evaluation of OR&R contributions to NOAA Annual Operating Plan milestones, performance measures and accomplishments.
- Support development of annual OR&R Outreach Strategic Plan.
- Implement short and long-term special projects as needs arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, environmental science or related field with a minimum of three years’ experience in a writing/editing and/or communications capacity
- Proficiency in use of Adobe InDesign and other Web design/editing software
- Self-motivated, creative and energetic with an ability to work well individually and cooperatively with a range of individuals
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and to shift priorities as needed.
- Master’s degree in public policy, environmental science or related field
- Experience working for an organization in a marine science related field
- Proven ability to work as a member of a team or work independently
Please submit your resume, a completed application, a writing sample, salary requirements, three (3) references, and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: Policy Analyst Position. Freestone Environmental Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Freestone Environmental Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.